Originally from New Jersey, attorney Rick Derrico moved to Virginia to pursue an undergraduate degree in finance at Virginia Tech. From Blacksburg, he set out for Athens, Georgia where he completed law school at The University of Georgia in 1991. Shortly after graduation, he joined the law firm of Copenhaver, Ellet & Derrico.
Rick’s practice areas include:
- Real Estate Law – If you need help with real estate issues or construction and mechanics’ liens, Rick can help you understand the legalities of your situation and ensure that you are not taken advantage of as you attempt to purchase, sell, or lease property.
- Business Law – Starting or expanding a business is no small feat. As you prepare to grow your company, however, it may be wise to retain the legal help of an attorney who understands the rules and regulations surrounding these opportunities.
- Estate Planning & Administration – If you need legal assistance with preparing or understanding a will or the probate process, Rick is able to walk you through your situation with compassion and skilled legal advocacy.
- Personal Injury – If you were injured in an accident that was not your fault, you may feel overwhelmed. Medical bills are likely piling up, and you may not know where to turn. Contact attorney Rick Derrico today for help with any personal injury legal issues you may have that stem from these types of accidents.
- Criminal Defense – Attorney Derrico has defended clients in criminal cases ranging from DUIs to drug crimes, and more, and he is prepared to help fight for you to retain your rights and freedom during the criminal justice process.
Rick possesses both the compassion and down-to-earth demeanor necessary to relate to his clients who are facing a variety of legal issues. He continuously pushes for the best possible outcome for those he represents, and has been told by clients that they appreciate how relentless he is in defending their rights.
When not practicing law, Rick stays active by supporting the community, spending time with his family, and playing rugby. He’s currently a member of the Roanoke Rugby Football Club and volunteers his time at the Commonwealth Catholic Charities and the Legal Aid Society.
- Virginia, 1991
- Georgia, 1991
- U.S. District Court Western District of Virginia, 1991
- U.S. Court of Appeals 4th Circuit, 1991
- University of Georgia School of Law
- J.D., 1991
- Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University
- B.S. (Magna Cum Laude), 1988
Professional Associations & Memberships
- Roanoke Bar Association, Member & Past Position on Board of Directors
- American Bar Association, Member
- Commonwealth Catholic Charities, Past Chairman & Board Member
- Legal Aid Society, Director, 2003 – Present
- Total Action Against Poverty, Director, 2002 – 2008
- U.S. Naval Institute
- Roanoke Rugby, Member & Retired Player
- Mary Baldwin College, Adjunct Faculty (Business Law, Corporations, Business Organizations)
- Virginia Western Community College, Adjunct Faculty (Business Law, Corporations, Business Organizations)
Pro Bono Activities
- Legal Aid Society of Roanoke Valley
- Commonwealth Catholic Charities
- St. Andrew’s Catholic Church
- Total Action Against Poverty
- Roanoke Rugby
- Melrose Adventist Child Development Center